Tuesday, May 15, 2012

My Vegitarian Quest

For the next 30 days, I'm going vegetarian.  My motivation is not spiritual, health related or political.  I'm doing it so my culinary knowledge can continue to grow, and in turn, make better food for Matador.  I'm going to totally immerse myself in eating and cooking vegetarian.

Normally, I'm the kind of guy who would pick veggies as the last possible option.  I'm sure I have even made fun of vegetarians many times in the past.  I never really understood why someone would give up meat.  I can understand people who think a vegetarian diet is healthy or don't want to see animals harmed.  Good for them.  I'm not here to judge people for their choices.  I don't have anything against vegetarians and we have tried to make make Matador a good place for vegetarians.  As our time goes on, our vegetarian customer base has really increased and we want it to grow even more.  We are in no way going to give up meat in the restaurant but hopefully our new tinkering with a veggie diet can even help make our meat products better as we continue to look for better ingredients and better recipes. 

Personally, I just really love eating meat.  Bacon and pork, steak, chicken, fish, turkey or whatever.  I typically like it all.  I usually BBQ at least once a week (year round).  I grew up eating meat and potatoes.  My parents grilled often, and a t-bone was our go to special meal.  My history is filled with meat.  I don't think this quest will be easy for me since meat is all I have known my entire life.

As my desire for culinary knowledge grows, I can see that I need to expand my horizons.  I guess I have been watching too many episodes of Bizarre Foods, because I'm ready to eat just about anything.  Here it goes.

I am not a writer.  I don't want to become one. I'm not a blogger and don't want to become one of those either.  I'm sure my grammar, spelling and punctuation is horrific at times.  This little blog will just be a simple diary of what I'm doing.  I do mean simple.  I'm not going to put a lot of time and effort into making the blog easy to use or pretty.  I'm throwing all of this on a blog so I don't clutter up our Facebook page with too much stuff.  As the experiment continues I will post some recipes I like and fill you in with the details of my quest.  I'm not sure if anyone really cares or not.  If you want me to post some recipes (or post your own) just fire away.

The final result I'm looking for is better food for Matador. If you want to suggest anything, I will give it an honest shot to see how it can work in the restaurant.  

To all the veggie heads out there.... Thank you very much for everything you have do so far.  As soon as I posted I was going to do this I was bombarded with messages of support and offers for help.  Thank you in advance for letting me use you as test subjects for new ideas.

10 comments:

  1. I am excited about this! I will choose veggie over meat quite a lot but never at Matador. You are right about the chains - bland and predictable (fajita veggies). I am hoping for something less predictable from you! I also know mushrooms are the go to because they taste meaty but I am highly allergic to them so I am hoping they don't show up too often! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love meat too! my favorite favorite veggie recipe is Polenta lasagna from The moosewood new classics cookbook, check it out, it will win over any non vegetarian (and for the record, I don't like traditional lasagna)
    I found a version online:
    http://vegmealplans.blogspot.com/2011/03/polenta-lasagna.html
    I also have a trick for making the Polenta easier to work with, let me know if you want it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks AJLM, I don't feel that mushrooms should be a focus. I'm not against them, but I think they are more of an accent. Not high on my list right now, but who knows where this quest will take us.

    Thanks for that recipe emily! I will give it a try. I would love to learn your Polenta trick. I'm in this for the knowledge. ;) I will let everyone know how this recipe works.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are sooo many delicious foods to make veggie!
    I like buying some of my veggies frozen, it's cheaper and just as good at times as fresh. Great stirfry options!

    There are great meat substitutes out there.. morningside or what ever it's called.lol.. is good for meat substitutes. As far as veggie burgers. I'm an original veggie burger girl.. no Boca for me.

    Making traditional chinese sauces is good too! Love Pad Thai!
    Basic ingredients for Chinese sauces are sugar, cornstarch, soy sauce, sesame oil, hoisin sauce, sherry etc.

    TVP is GMO!!! :( and sietin is bad cuz of the Gluten.. :(

    Of course this time of year is perfect for this.. with all of our farmers markets around. Go to Boulder on Sat am.. omg.. the best!

    Hummus is my fave thing to make.. so here ya go.
    1 15 oz can Garbonzos
    1-3 cloves garlic
    2 T lemon
    1/2 cup low far yogurt.. Greek is the best. plain
    3 T. olive oil
    1/4 tsp sea salt, Himalayan or Celtic salt
    1/8 t. cayenne
    1 T. tahini.. optional.. taste preference.. I've plenty of you'd like to use and try it. Don't buy unless you use a lot!
    Mix all ingred in food processor and there ya have it! great as a spread, dip, salad dressing etc.. and can be turned into a spicy mexican item as well.. go to town!

    I've an Awesome Asian mushroom soup recipe too..
    Veggie grilled sandwiches are the bomb on Facocia bread.etc.. and hummus!

    ASIAN MUSHROOM SOUP:
    4 cups Veggie broth
    3 Tbs reduced sodium soy sauce
    3 garlic cloves, crushed
    3 cups assorted mushrooms.. ports, crimini, shitake, buttons, oyster sliced
    3 cups white cabbage, cut into wedges
    1 cup thinly sliced carrots
    2 cups fresh udon noodles or cooked linguine
    1 cup thinly sliced green onions with some grn tops
    2 cups whole baby spinach leaves
    fresh ground pepper to taste.. Optional 1 Tbs mirin
    In a large pot, combine broth, soy s., ginger, garlic, mushrooms, cabbage, carrots. Cover, bring to a boil, simmer until mushrooms are soft.. 5 mins
    Stir in noodles, green onions and spinach, simmer until greens are wilted and serve!

    Ciao.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much. I will let you know how they turn out for me. You rock Jill!

      Delete
  5. :) sent on a Kale salad recipe too.. I love... it's an art, it's a passion.. and that's the secret, time and love.

    ReplyDelete