Thursday, May 17, 2012

Day 4 (May 17th)

Breakfast was a little breakfast bowl at Matador again.... tasty.  Same thing as yesterday.  I could happily eat a veggie bowl every morning.

Lunch was not great by any means.  I went over to Jersey Mike's.  The Veggie Sub was bread, lettuce, green peppers and then done "Mike's Way" (vinegar, oil, spices).  I think I see what vegetarians complain about at most restaurants.  It was a nice deli sandwich and to make it vegetarian, they just took out the meat.  I'm not saying that you have to have a meat substitute in there, but you have to have something in place of the meat.  I'm not trying to bash Jersey Mike's either.  I have had some very fine sandwiches over there.  At that location, the customer service has always been great and the joint is always clean.  I'm just going to add them to the list of restaurants that fails to have a good vegetarian option.

My goal here is never to bash a restaurant.  I will however keep going to different restaurants to see what veggie options they have.  I always find great inspiration when I eat out, when I dissect food in my mind I always get great ideas.  

Dinner was good.  I made some quinoa for the first time. 

I just made this up as I went. I didn't want to snag an internet recipe, I wanted to experiment.  I didn't really measure so I can't give you exact amounts, but here is what I think I did.

1 cup quinoa
2 cups water
1tsp veggie base
1/4 sweet corn
1/4 cup shredded carrots
1 tbsp hot sauce (sriracha)
salt and pepper to taste.

I took one of those Tofurky Italian Sausages and tossed it on the grill.  Once it has a nice crispy outside, I sliced it and tossed in on a bed of my spicy quinoa.  Nice little meal. 


Big time bonus for dinner tonight.  Two fantastic people (R and M, I don't need to name any names) who stopped by for dinner brought in some veggie burgers.  The didn't tell me the exact recipe, just that it was TVP, black beans and secret spices.  Anyhow, I grilled that bad boy and put some creamy swiss cheese on top.  Home run.  I didn't have any burger buns at home, so I went commando.



I will do a new direction with the quinoa recipe next time I get a chance.  I won't be able to cook anything tomorrow. I have to run a quick road trip for a funeral.  Hopefully I can find something to eat that isn't in a Subway.

Special thanks to R & M for the burger.  You guys rock.


2 comments:

  1. Yummy! Thanks for the impromptu Quinoa recipe. I will share it with Amanda. We are always looking for a good Quinoa approach. By the way the photo of your creation is a good touch. Maybe throw a sprig or two of cilantro and you got a visual masterpiece!

    ReplyDelete