Friday, May 25, 2012

Day 10... 1/3rd of the way done.

I didn't get as much cooking time as I wanted today.  It's hard to play when customers keep wanting food. That is a fantastic problem to have and there is no way I'm complaining about customers, but I can't wait for my weekend so I can cook for a few days.

Our Sysco Foods rep dropped off a sweet little treat today (Thanks G).  A big ol' bag of TVP was waiting for me when I got to work today.  This particular product was produced by Custom Blending. They are located just a bit north of Fossil Ridge HS.  They produce the Harmony Valley line of goodies.  You can get more dirt on their website.

http://www.harmonyvalleyfoods.com/

Anyhow, the restaurant product they make is a plain TVP.  I took that TVP and cooked it just like we cook our ground beef in the restaurant.  I flat out love our ground beef.  Ground beef taco meat isn't very sexy, but a hard shell taco changes my day every single time I grub one down.  I guess my expectations were a little bit too high.  The big lesson of the day is simple.  A meat substitute needs far more flavor than regular meat.  While cooking, I kept tasting and adding our dry rub until I was happy with the flavor.  I was never really happy with the texture, but that just leads to the next lesson of the day.



I gave a sample of the meat to a pair of our favorite customers (who vegetarian knowledge is amazing). They suggested I use a sauce rather than a dry rub to season the TVP.  That will be on the list for tomorrow.  I feel rather stupid on that one.... I should have been thinking that road the entire time.  Rather than use oil to cook texture onto the TVP, I should have been trying to use a sauce that I could caramelize onto the TVP.  Texture is still the missing link and I have been hesitant to use too much oil.  Actually, I'm an idiot for not trying to caramelize a sauce.... texture and flavor.  Two birds, one stone and no fat.  I should kick my own butt.  

Proof that I really needed to totally jump into this.  If I would have just tried a few things here and there I probably wouldn't have given anything enough thought to do it right.  I would have never had the customer/friend feedback along the way if I didn't go all in.

I sure am glad I decided to make this little adventure public so I could learn from everyone else who already knew what they were doing.

Just for kicks, I pressed a handful of the TVP into a little patty and dropped it into the deep fat fryer.  Bingo!


Everything is better when it is fried. 

I didn't get a chance to try the sausage TVP this morning and I can't wait until tomorrow so I can build a beautiful breakfast burrito. 

Man, I miss our chorizo.  My hat is off to Polidori Sausage of Denver.  They make the best sausage on the planet. 


More to come tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. You definitely want to keep your TVP moist. And it comes fat-free and spice-free if you're buying regular TVP.. but that just means you can fatten it up and spice it up any way you want.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, now that I've figured this out... regarding the TVP sausage you will be pleasantly surprised and happy with. So enjoy and treat it as if it is a ground meat and enjoy! Also I have made it for Amanda like a sausage patty, just make sure to cut when it is frozen otherwize it is to smoochie for patties. Hey thanks also for the mighty delicious food and conversation tonight. The CruzClan and MamaDonna

    ReplyDelete