Monday, May 21, 2012

Day 7 (May 20th)

The end of Sunday, and the end of one full week. Not too shabby.  I don't feel any different, but then again I'm usually pushing the envelope of fantastic.  No other physical or mental changes that I have noticed.  I don't think a vegetarian diet is all that easy, but if you are committed, it quickly becomes second nature.  You can grab a meat free option in just about any old place. 

Onward towards dinner....

Tonight, I made some Portobello Mushroom burgers.  I went a few different directions.  One patty just plain (salt, pepper and a drizzle of olive oil), the second was glazed with BBQ sauce and the third was Buffalo wing style.  The sandwich I created was a double with the BBQ mushroom and the Buffalo Wing style mushroom.  Plain white bun, red onion slices, tomato, pickle and a touch of ketchup and mustard.  It was a KFJ (knife and fork job) for sure.  I tried pick it up and eat it like a normal burger, but it fell apart. 



It was good.  Not great, but good.  I also made a side of red chili quinoa and some chipotle polenta.  I made the quinoa using some vegetable base, red chili paste, garlic, and a touch of salt & pepper.  It wasn't bad.  The kids didn't like it, but I finished off my share.  I have a few more ideas for quinoa and will give them a shot in the next few meals.  I purchased one of those tubes of precooked polenta that you can just heat and eat.  It was flavored with chipotle and cilantro.  I couldn't taste either the chipotle or cilantro.  Finding it lacking, I added some milk, butter, pepper & salt, and tried to just turn it into a pseudo mashed potato.  It was just fine.  The kids hated it, but the wife loved it.  I was a little disappointed in the ploenta but will try some different preparations next time around.  The biggest highlight of the meal was the little pile of pickles.  Grandma's recipe on those.  They make everything better.

Not a bad little dinner, but it was hard watching everyone else eat a real burger while I had the shrooms.  It gave me an idea for the future.  I would love to have a beef burger topped off with a grilled portobello and swiss cheese. 

That is all I have for now.  See you tomorrow.


2 comments:

  1. We're not a huge fan of mushrooms.. but they're a good first experiment for the newly veg (since there are so few ingredients and steps). But you might like this burger recipe. It's easy and delicious. Plus, it's hard to screw up this burger, so feel free to use your own combination of spices: http://bicyclingvegan.blogspot.com/2012/02/homemade-zesty-burgers-for-two.html You can also find some quinoa and bean burger recipes in the blog, too. Oh, and don't expect every one of your veggie experiments to be great. We all screw them up sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That recipe looks great. I will put that on my must try list. I just subscribed to your blog.... tons of fun looking stuff on there. I can't wait to get working on some of it. Thank you so much for helping me with my veggie quest. Cheers

    ReplyDelete