Tuesday, May 22, 2012

May 22nd Update. 8 days down

No real food news to report over the last few days.  It was rather boring actually.  I didn't get much time to cook anything so I was really just stuck eating what I could.  Sorry for the lack of updates over the last few days.

I'm still feeling fine, no changes in attitude, weight or energy.

I dropped into the Vitamin Cottage on South College today.  I got some new products to test out and had a few ideas.

First up, I picked up some TVP with a taco seasoning.  It was made by LightLife.  It wasn't bad, but it was still missing something.  It worked very well as a meat substitute, it just didn't have a very good flavor.  It reminded me of a bland fast food restaurant with "taco" in the name.  No offense to the LightLife guys.  That was by far the best meat substitute I have had so far.  My daughter loved it, and asked for seconds. Tomorrow, I'm going to hit the Sunflower Market to pick up some plain TPV.  I know I can make a great taco seasoning to toss in there that will blow that stuff out of the water.  After I give this a test run, I will make some to put on the line at Matador.  Everyone can come in and give it a try.  Who knows, maybe soon you can buy a Matador TVP taco filling that you can make at home.... Now I'm getting excited.  I finally have something I can work with. 

I also picked up some sausage and bacon substitutes that I will try in some breakfast burritos tomorrow morning.

I still have yet to find an edible veggie dog.  I have tried a few now, and been very disappointed.

7 comments:

  1. I love tofurkey's sausages (http://www.tofurky.com/tofurkyproducts/sausages.html). If I remember correctly, they made some decent veggie dogs too, though the last time I had them was fried and thrown in with some homemade baked beans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to start following your blog. I see it through my facebook feed because Matador is on my likes list. Please excuse me if you covered it already--but you can also make your own seitan (wheat gluten, meat substitute) at home pretty easily and relatively cheap.

    I've been a vegetarian for a few years now and a vegan for the last three and while I'm in no position to say whether or not vegetarianism is right for anyone but myself I respect that you're experimenting with the diet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Trevor, I appreciate of your feedback.

    I didn't plan on making my own seitan, but it does look like something I should try at least once. ;)

    Keep the input coming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you considered using Jack Fruit in your tacos? I tried it once and the texture was good. I got it at the Asian store on the SW corner of Drake and Shields.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Paul. I'm working on some information for you right now. My friend Jan is a master at creating meat substitute products. I've had her veggie sausage, veg pastrami, etc. Don't forget, you don't have to substitute the meat. Just add lots of grains to your diet with the veg for protein supplement. Millet, spelt, etc. and always, mix with beans.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Betty... Funny reading this after I already talked to you about it during lunch. Jack Fruit is on my list of things to do this weekend.

    Thanks Lara! Yes, this new veg head needs the substitute. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jack fruit rocks.. amazing tasting creature. Tasty Harmony does well with it.. :)

    ReplyDelete