Saturday, May 26, 2012

May 25th (Day 11)

I had a fun food day today.  I didn't really learn anything new, but I did get a chance to practice what I should have been doing all along.

For breakfast, I took the Harmony Valley Foods Sausage Product and tossed it into a taco.  I pan fried it with some soybean oil and a cooks best friends.... salt and pepper.

It was fantastic. I promise that I'm not doing this to promote our Matador products, but that Maple Jalapeno hot sauce is friggin amazing.  My taco was made with the sausage TVP, potato, a dribble of refried beans, cheese, lettuce, a drizzle of ranch and a double dose of Maple Jalapeno hot sauce.  That may have been the best thing I have had so far.  It doesn't matter what I would have had for the rest of the day, I was perfectly happy.

For a late lunch, I whipped up a burrito with some more TVP.  This time, I grilled it up on the flat top with a generous portion of BBQ sauce.  Finally, the texture I have been looking for.  Something I should have known since the beginning.  The sugar in the BBQ sauce made a nice crispy texture on the ground beef substitute.  The TVP I used was just a plain, unseasoned product from Harmony Valley Foods. 

TVP + Salt & pepper + BBQ sauce = Love. 



I tossed that BBQ meat sub into a trampoline sized tortilla.  Spanish rice, potatoes, pinto beans, cheese, pico de gallo, habanero sauce, a bit of sour cream, and one jalapeno slice.  At the last second, I decided to throw it on a plate and drench it with green chili. (yes, the Matador green chili is vegetarian)  That, my friends, was culinary enlightenment. 

I could have had eaten a rotten shoe for dinner and still have had a great food day.  


Friday, at Matad.  busy, so I didn't really have any dinner.  After we closed, the last thing I wanted to do was think about food, so my late night snack was my favorite filler of all time.... celery and carrots.  Raw, dirty and crunchy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment