Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Day 2 (May 15th)

Lesson  number one for today- people are really passionate about food. 

Lesson number two -- vegetarians are more passionate about food than just about everyone else.


I don't usually do breakfast, so I started my day off with some cheese pizza for lunch.  It really left me wanting more.  I don't blame the lack of meat, the pizza just sucked.  I ate more than I normally would have.  I don't know why, I just felt like I was missing something.  I had to cover my pizza with hot sauce and packets of Parmesan cheese.  After choking down the death disc they called pizza, I realized the path I had to take with my quest.  I can't just continue to eat the same foods I always eat sans meat.  I have to eat new foods.  I need to explore things I normally don't eat.  If I compare a cheese pizza with a pepperoni covered saucer of greasy goodness, the cheese pizza will loose every time.

Putting that little tidbit of knowledge in my back pocket, I started planning my dinner.

I picked up some tempeh at the grocery store.  I was going to attack a few options with small portions so I could have some bang for my buck.  The first taco was made using thin strips of tempeh that I pan fried in soybean oil and glazed with a home made BBQ sauce.  Soft taco on a flour tortilla, BBQ tempeh, rice, cheese, lettuce, pico and habanero hot sauce.  That was a tasty little number.  I got a good sear on the tempeh.  The nice glaze from the BBQ sauce worked very well.  The one thing I didn't like was the sweetness of the BBQ.  I don't really have a sweet tooth and if I had to complain.... that would be it.  I could eat plenty of these bad boys, but next time I will use a BBQ sauce with a little less sugar.

The second taco of the night was a taco seasoned tempeh.  I diced the tempeh to resemble ground beef and added our regular dry taco meat seasoning.  I assembled the taco the same way.  I didn't like the way this one turned out.  As with most soy products I used in the past, I think you really need a wet sauce or marinade to penetrate and give it some flavor. The dry spices don't help with the texture either.  I need the texture.

Just to finish off my night, I went with a potato and re-fried bean taco.  Ain't nothing wrong with that little fellow.  Then again, it is something I normally eat anyway.  Kind of like a 3 bite potato burrito. 

Midnight snack... carrots and celery.  I have always loved that little veggie combo.  Reminds me of when I was a kiddo.  My grandma use to have a paper milk carton in fridge full of carrots, celery and radishes topped off with water.  The veggies were crisp, cold and flat out awesome. 

I don't miss meat yet.  I don't feel any different, but then again, I ate so much BBQ on Sunday that I'm probably still living off the over the top meat finale I forced down before the veggie quest.

I have some new things to think about tomorrow, but that wraps up today.  Keep the ideas flowing my way. 

Cheers



3 comments:

  1. As a vegetarian for 11 years I have found that most food from restaurants that mainly cater to meat eaters is BLAND! You can't slap some veggies on a plate with steamed tofu and expect us to go crazy over it. We crave FLAVOR! I was married to a meat eater for 9 years before he went veggie last year and there were times he told me he didn't miss meat because of my cooking. I have learned you can make a vegetarian version of almost anything! Mushrooms have a hearty texture, soyrizo is widely available, and seitan is sorely underrated! Good luck, Paul!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! aj wolv, Seitan is a wonderful choice for texture, flavor, and protein. The only thing is you can't be wheat intollerant. Great suggestion and that whole mushroom thang from Portabellos to just button mushes is a wonderful option too!!!!

      Delete
    2. Agreed. Given the choices that most restaurants offer, it's not surprising that so many people think eating veg is dull and limited, filled with squishy cold tofu and bland processed veggie burgers.

      A little off track here--but check out Big Al's in town, they make a pretty good veggie burger. And if you're ever in Denver, Watercourse and City O City are musts. Watercourse has an incredible vegan bakery on site and the seitan wings at City O City and the vegan ranch sauce will blow your mind.

      Delete