Sunday, June 3, 2012

June the twooth

I'm still very disappointed in the amount of new recipes I have been able to try over the last week or so.  Work has been crazy busy this week.

Writing that makes me think that all I'm doing is making excuses.  Eating unhealthy food is very easy.  Never enough time to do it right so most people take the easy way out and eat junk.  My junk intake has been much lower during this quest, but by healthy eating standards, it is still lower than I would like.

Vegetarians sure do need to be committed to pull it off.  Not only for themselves, but if you live or hang out with people that aren't vegetarians then they need to help you out.  We snagged a pizza from Mama Roni's today.  Normally we would have just grabbed a pepperoni and ripped it to shreds. Today, we had to make it a veggie.... It was still the best pizza in town (in my humble opinion), but I felt bad that the meat eaters had to go out of their way for me.


I really dig Mama Roni's Pizza.  In all honesty, I know the owners, I think they are great people and I like their pies.  Back in the franchise taco days, we were interested in doing some delivery.  I needed some advise and I didn't know where to turn.  I decided to call my favorite pizza place and ask for help.  That's right, I did love the food before I knew them.  They invited me to come down and check out their operations.  They had no clue who I was or what I was doing, but they still offered to help me out.  In the middle of a crazy day, they sat down with me and answered every question I had.  They didn't need to give me the time of day, and  I wouldn't have been offended if they told me to shove it.  That is what you call good people.  Funny how the little things make a huge impact.  I didn't intend to use this blog as a platform for advertising, and that wasn't the intent of my story. Today just reminded me of a few things... I work with some really good people that go out of their way to help a guy out.  I also have the good fortune to be in the same business with some really good people that go out of their way to help a guy out.

Back to the food.

I was chatting with a customer about superfoods today.  Those foods that are just flat out so good for you that you should eat them every chance you get.  The top ten on most lists are

yogurt
eggs
nuts
kiwi
quinoa
beans (black are best)
salmon
broccoli
sweet potatoes
berries

Take salmon off the list and you have a veggie paradise.  Everything on that list also tastes great so they are all a slam dunk.  Some other lists have great foods I think should be included too.  I would toss these into a master list of amazing foods.

avocado (but you already knew that)
hot peppers (duh)
barley ;)
horseradish
cabbage
spinach (or dark leafy greens)
onions (red, white, yellow, shallots, and garlic)
spices like cinnamon, pepper, oregano, ginger and mustard
nuts
chocolate (the darker the better)

Sure, your personal tastes could kick one or two things off that list, but the vast majority of great foods taste great too.  A few years ago, my wife and I decided that every time we go to the store we will always just grab some random fruit or veggie while we are there. Want it or not, we just made better food available.  Fun times are had with fruit.

Bottom line, eat all of those any chance you get.


More to come next time.


Cheers





2 comments:

  1. I agree with you. My first attempt at eating vegetarian was while I was in college and I didn't do a whole lot of research about it. That was my own fault, and ended up eating a lot of veg junk food and processed faux meats when I should have been taking time to prepare actual meals and include more vegetables. I got bored with that and it would be a few years later that I'd give it a more serious chance that it stuck for me.

    I'd add kale to that list of super foods as well: http://www.organicauthority.com/health/reasons-kale-is-the-new-beef-nutritious-sustainable.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kale is the new beef?

    Nice article, funny title.

    I will make sure to toss some kale into my diet.

    When I was in the dorms at CSU, they always had a vegetarian option. It always sucked. I think that may have even put off vegetarian food for the last 10 years. There is just something wrong with sweet and sour tofu stir fry that has been sitting under a lamp for hours....

    ReplyDelete