Wednesday, June 13, 2012

June 12th

One of our Facebook posters keeps mentioning that we should get some spicy baked tofu on the menu.  Well, that sounds like something I should try, so I did.  I found this recipe on the interweb.  They have the internet on computers now. 

Spicy Baked Tofu


Ingredients:
  • 1 14-ounce package Organic Extra Firm Tofu, pressed, drained and sliced into 12 1/2″-pieces
  • 3 tablespoons Thai Kitchen Spicy Thai Chili Sauce Marinade
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
  • 1 clove garlic, grated
  • 1″ piece ginger root, grated
Instructions:
 
Toss everything (except the tofu) into a bowl and whisk to combine. Set aside.
 
press tofu to remove extra moisture (standard technique there)
slice tofu block into 12 equal pieces
in a small flat bottom bowl, marinade the tofu (in the sauce you set aside) the for at least an hour.
preheat oven to 350 degrees.
bake tofu for 60 minutes, turning tofu over every 20 minutes

I followed the recipe almost exactly. I couldn't find the Thai Kitchen brand sauce so I substituted that with "House of Tsang" brand Szechuan Spicy Stir-Fry Sauce.

After pressing and cutting the tofu, I simply put it back into the original container so it could marinade


I made sure to get the sauce in-between the slices so it coated evenly.  

I cooked up some rice and steamed up a pile of veggies to put under the spicy tofu.


I actually made a second batch of the marinade and drizzled it over the top of the plate.  This little lunch was very easy to make. It did take a over an hour, but most of that time was waiting for it to bake.  Actual work time was probably less that 10 minutes.  

That marinade/sauce was flat out awesome.  It was so good that I licked the bowl clean.  Even the meat eaters in your life would enjoy this meal.  It did have a little spice, but my kiddos ate it with no problem.  

I didn't really intend to lean towards an Asian flair, but since the spicy tofu was suggested by a Maty fan, I gave it a run.  I'm really glad I did.  

I'm going to tuck the Asian sauce recipe into my go to bag.  

This recipe is very easy and very good. 

More to come next time. I have a black bean and quinoa enchilada recipe that I can't wait to try.



1 comment:

  1. Sounds great--a different variation on the Asian Baked Tofu we make.

    But, what would be even better would be if you developed an equally awesome Mexican Baked Tofu! ;-)

    ReplyDelete